After seeing this post; http://michaelagianotti.com/2013/09/23/27-things-only-a-camp-counselor-will-understand/ on my friend's timeline this morning, I got inspired to create this little explanation of the things that only the counselors and staff of the beloved Camp Little Red will understand. We get paid little and we sleep less, but let's be honest guys, we have the best job in the world. :)
1. When it's down to you and Met 1 in a dodge-ball game.
2. Getting called up for an impromptu skit.
3. The love/hate relationship with shower mornings.
4. Singing "I'm Just A Child". Every chapel. Every week. All summer.
5. When kids push the gravel around under the table.
6. Trying to "circle up".
7. When it's your gratis group's turn to do dishes.
8. The strange things that start happening during the last week of camp.
9. When you want to win Mr/Miss Clean but your kids are messy.
10. Teaching the first day of Crafts.
11. Seeing how many times you can play "Bump" or "Grounders" before your mind goes numb.
12. When shower day also ends up being swim day.
13. When in doubt...paint rocks.
14. When other staff are flirting.
15. When Snowy is the speaker.
16. Lip-synced music videos.
17. When they sing your favorite song in chapel.
18. When it's FINALLY Teens Camp week.
19. Emergency Storm Sleepovers.
20. Ten Toes Up.
21. Trying to come up with the best Silly Hour.
22. Sharing night at the campfire.
24. When kids find out your real name.
25. Pizza night.
26. Looking forward to slideshow night yet dreading what embarrassing pictures of you there might be.
27. How much happier you feel on music mornings.
28. Loving kids and bringing them to Christ. The greatest reward in the world.
Camp Little Red is a great place to spend your summer, you always laugh lots and have fun, everyone is family, and the memories are unforgettable. So what if you can have a better paying "real" job somewhere with shorter workdays and more time for sleeping and personal hygiene? Camp IS a real job, and there's nowhere else I'd rather. be.
"Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord because you know that your labor is not in vain." - 1 Corinthians 15:58