What I'm Writing for #NaNoWriMo2019

  It's a monumental time, guys. I am actually attempting to do NaNoWriMo?? Wow, who am I? In the spirit of the craziest time of the year, I thought I'd share my NaNo project with you all, as that's a pretty good way to insure I actually try my best through the whole month. Will I die? Probably. But *hopefully* I'll have another book at the end to make my death worthwhile!




  THE SNOW DRAGON

MG Fantasy//Standalone novel



  Eira is a child of the mountains, a child of winter. Her imagination is the product of many nights sitting by the fire in her father’s lap, listening to his tales of the Snow Dragon. Fascinated by the folk tales of her people, Eira resorts to belief in fairy-tales when her father disappears without a trace and she is thrust into a life-changing journey to seek him and the legendary Snow Dragon.


  I've had this story on the backburner for quite awhile, and now that we've had a huge dump of November snow and NaNoWriMo is here, I thought it'd be a great time to finally get it written. And, in the spirit of the NaNo season, I thought I'd share a little bit about this book with you all.


What inspired The Snow Dragon?


  I got my initial inspiration from reading George RR Martin's, The Ice Dragon. I thought the premise of a winter themed dragon was really cool, and its connection with a young girl living in a snowy land. Also, having grown up in the White North of Canada, I can kind of relate to this character in a lot of ways, lol. 

  After that I became inspired with some different fairy-tale creatures, a dash of Norse mythology, and some Stranger Things parallel universe vibes. 



Who is the MC?


  Eleven year old Eira is my main character, and she's been a fun little heroine to chronicle. She is spunky and brave, but pays close attention to the world around her, and is aware (partially because she is attentive and partially because of her father's stories) of the existence of something otherworldly in her valley home. When her beloved father goes missing, she will stop at nothing to get him back, even when she is thrust into a dangerous new world that she might never be able to escape. 

  Eira is definitely growing on me as a character. She's a little different than my female MC's from other stories like Estrella and Saagar. She is not embittered with the world, but rather sees the wonder and beauty in all of it, and has such love and devotion in her soul that she is willing to go far beyond everything safe and familiar to take care of those she loves. It's quite refreshing to write about someone so pure and innocent, something I haven't done very much of. And it's a nice break from this year's heavier material, haha. 



What is the target audience for this story?



  It's definitely a middle-grade fantasy once again, which is honestly such a fun and enjoyable genre. I need to gather more plot bunnies for this type of story in the future! Of course, as is my opinion with most children's/MG work that is any good, it's certainly readable for teens and adults as well, and I believe will be able to be enjoyed by a wide-range of people. 



What are some of the themes explored?



  There's definitely a sense of family and family devotion, the loving relationship between a father and daughter. Of course there is magic, and a bit of the old good-vs-evil struggle. There is definitely a story of perseverance even in dark and dangerous places, of prioritizing kindness and compassion, of sacrificing yourself for the good of others.



What are your plans with this story?  



  My aim is to get this book finished completely and on the road to indie publishing sometime next year, probably late next year. After Faithless is all wrapped up, I think this will be my next venture into publishing and I'm pretty excited. This will definitely be a great book for those who are fans of The Sorceress and the Squid, as they are similar story types and more the same flavor of book. So be on the lookout for beta-reading announcements and release type stuff in 2020!



What is your NaNo process?


  I've honestly been working so hard on my writing this year, especially this fall, that I'm giving myself some NaNo slack. It would be awesome to hit the 50,000 word mark/finish the book, but I'm going to make a good pace and just see where this busy month takes me. However, I am making sure to hit my daily word count 5-6 days per week and so far I'm not doing too badly at all. It's a chill NaNo, but a good one. 



YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE THESE POSTS:

Camp NaNo? More Like Nah, No...(How Not to Feel Like A Failure For Not Writing A Novel)

So You Didn't Finish NaNo?

What I'm Working On For NaNo - The Wandering



LET'S TALK. 


  Are you doing NaNo this year? I would love to hear all about your epic project! Are you looking forward to the snowy, holiday season at all and cozying up with your book or someone else's? Let me know in the comments below!

Comments

  1. I'm not doing Nano this year but I am writing like a crazy person this November is hope of finishing my only half completed novel by the end of the month. EEK.
    Your book looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, in my opinion, anything you're trying to write or work on during November can be considered a NaNo project. ;) Good luck on finishing the second half! I'm curious to know what this half-story is all about now...
      Thank you!

      Delete
  2. This sounds AMAZING!! I'm giving a broody non-magical fantasy a shot with *maybe* a curse involved. And since it wasn't working out how I wanted on a laptop, I'm now handwriting it just to see how far I make it this month. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, a curse! I'm intrigued. I'm also intrigued by the idea of non-magical fantasy? Explain this phenomena?
      Wow, by hand?? You are crazy, my friend, but mad respect to you!

      Delete
  3. Oooh I love the sound of this story! And the snow aesthetic is gorgeous. <3 I can already imagine the atmosphere your writing will conjure of the icy world... Love it!

    I'm writing a YA fantasy spy book with a LOT of court intrigue, so I'm just trying to balance all the secrets and assasination plots at the moment, haha! Hope your writing is going well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The snowy aesthetic is definitely fitting where I'm at right now, haha.

      That sounds really cool, I love politics and court intrigue and assassins and plotting! I look forward to checking it out someday. ;)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts