My Best Books of 2019

  At the risk of sounding like a broken record, I can't believe it's already December, the end of another year, and another decade?? Yikes. 




  Despite the complete chaos of this year, I did manage to get my reading in, and I still have a little time left in the month to hit my Goodreads goal (though I don't think I will, I'm sooo behind)! So here are my favorite reads from the year for your viewing pleasure and 2020 TBR creating! Guys, we have a whole new decade of book-devouring ahead of us, is that exciting or what??

PSST. Click on any cover to be taken to the corresponding Goodreads page!




  1) HARRY POTTER by JK Rowling (particularly THE PRISONER OF AZKABAN, THE GOBLET OF FIRE, and THE ORDER OF THE PHOENIX) 


  I started the first book at the end of last year, and was hooked. So of course I spent my entire first quarter of the year devouring the rest of these stories. I never read Harry Potter as a child, so it was really refreshing to experience a whole new beloved universe for the first time. I especially liked books 3, 4, and 5. I tried to watch the movies on my plane ride to Australia, but I just couldn't get into them - as far as I can tell, the books are infinitely superior! If you're one of the weird ones like me who hasn't given this series a chance yet, I highly recommend it! They're pretty awesome books.




  2) MONSTRESS by Marjorie M. Liu


  I got into this new graphic novel series, partially because I was attracted to the art and partially because of the story concept. The world in Monstress is a matriarchal society and that's really interesting to read about. The world-building is awesome and the main character is really intense and interesting. If you like women-led stories, unique fantasy worlds, and darker thematic elements, I'm sure you will love this series as much as me. 




  3) AMERICAN GODS by Neil Gaiman


  This book was not what I was expecting in so many ways. It was sad, it was isolating, and highly imaginative. Neil Gaiman crafts such poignant and thought-provoking worlds with his stories, so easy to devour and get lost in. I enjoyed a year of exploring his fiction, and American Gods was quite an adventure to say the least. It is certainly his most ambitious novel I've read, and the idea of belief is so strong and interesting here. Would definitely recommend if you're interested in mythology, roadtrips, and plot twists. 




  4) DEATHLESS by Catherynne M. Valente


  I always love this author, as she is another one who is so good with words, she weaves a spell that totally entraps you until you emerge out the other side of the story, a little ragged, a little confused, with pieces of your heart and mind still scattered through the pages. Deathless is a highly unique take on Russian mythology, and if you like Russian myths, the Russian Revolution, complex female protagonists, and poetry in your prose, you will probably enjoy Deathless




  5) SANDMAN by Neil Gaiman


  Bear with me as there is a lot of Neil Gaiman on this list (that should encourage you to go check out his stuff if you haven't yet). Sandman is a graphic novel series, and though I don't love the art styles employed, I love the story-telling and the world concepts. The Sandman universe is mixed and measured into DC Comics in some ways, and it adds breadth and scope to an already stunning mythology. Highly recommended for comic fans. 




  6) GOOD OMENS by Neil Gaiman


  Regretfully, I watched the show before reading the book, which is only unfortunate because the show is almost word-for-word from the book. I am so impressed by their adaption and would definitely recommend them both. Good Omens is highly entertaining with a cast of wacky and wonderful characters, set in a pre-apocalyptic universe. The premise is an angel and a demon working together to take care of the Antichrist, and if that doesn't grab you, I don't know what will.




  7) STARDUST by Neil Gaiman


  Stardust was the most mythic of my Neil Gaiman choices this year, and very fairy-tale-esque. It had a very classic fantasy feel to it, which I very much enjoyed. Especially because I got to read the graphic novel version with the beautiful illustrations. Honestly, every fantasy book needs some beautiful illustrations to go with it, don't you agree? For the pure fantasist, I would definitely recommend. 




  8) THE NEAR WITCH by Victoria Schwab


  This is Victoria (VE) Schwab's first novel, re-printed this year. I had to pick it up and check it out for the title alone to discover what this story was all about. It is a quaint, small-scale fantasy story. And I loved it. It reminded me a lot of The Sorceress and the Squid and The Girl Who Drank the Moon. So if you liked either of those books, you will certainly enjoy this. 




  9) THE INVISIBLE MAN by HG Wells


  This book was short and I read it while backpacking in the mountains this fall (since it was so small and easy to carry). I thought it was really interesting and well-written, a little bit creepy, a little bit macabre, and a little bit thrilling. All neatly packaged into a short story. If you need a short book to keep you company on a trip, this one will work well. 




  10) AURORA RISING by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff


  My YA sci-fi for the year. I enjoyed this interesting space odyssey with a haphazard cast of teen space pilots and their weird adventure into their own conspiratorial and mythical universe. Lots of snark and familial themes to tie it all together. Definitely an enjoyable story, and such a beautiful cover (hence why I wanted to have and read it)!


YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:


My Best Reads of 2017 (And Books I'm Looking Forward to in 2018)

My Favorite Books of 2018



LET'S TALK. 


  What were your favorite books of 2019? Did you meet your Goodreads goal? Have you ever read any of these titles, or are you adding some to your 2020 TBR? Let me know in the comments below!

Comments

Popular Posts