How to Make a Beautiful Map of Your Fantasy World

  Are you a fantasy writer? Do you dream of crafting a beautiful map to illustrate your fantasy world? I'm here today to show you how to do that below!



  There are two possible ways to create a really awesome fantasy map. Probably the most popular is to use map generating apps or websites, to virtually create your mapscape. Though I have tried these in the past, they are not my preferred method, but here is a list of some great websites to try out if this is your cup of tea!




 BUT, the way I prefer to create my fantasy maps, is to draw them by hand. Probably because of my artsy background, it just feels so much better to illustrate it myself than try and fiddle with programs online. So here are my tips for illustrating your very own fantasy map. 

#1. USE A BIG SHEET OF PAPER

  This may come as no surprise to you, but the bigger the sheet of paper, the better and more intricate of a map you can design. You can get those big, thick sheets for $2 at Dollarama and they are amazing, sturdy and sizable for your creative needs. 

#2. DYING THE PAPER

  If you want to get really cool and artsy, try adding a yellowish, worn affect with damp teabags by dabbing them across your paper, before you go to draw on it. I would like to do this on a future version of my map, as I think it would look really cool. 

#3. OUTLINE THE LAND MASSES 

  Before getting into anymore detail, the first thing I always do is outline the land masses. This is the skeleton and foundation for your world, and sets the scene for what world you'll be creating. Not that you can't go back and change it later, but if you start by just making a vague land mass that correlates with your story, it will help you be able to develop those more vague and murky areas of your creation.  

#4. PENCIL IT OUT

  I always make sure to do everything in pencil first! When I'm completely satisfied with the state of the map, then I'll go back and ink over the pencil, but especially now while my story is still developing and growing and being written, I never want to do anything permanent - not until I'm 100% done!

#5. IMPORTANT LANDMARKS FIRST

  Make sure you get the important landmarks down ASAP, like the sight of a great battle, the king's castle, or a mountain range. All these things, especially landmarks of high importance to the story, will be what you build the rest of the world around, so be sure those are all in place when you begin crafting.

#6. IT CAN BE A WIP

  One more thing that's important to remember - it's okay to have your map be a work in progress! Just like your story, this is a piece of creative expression that is bound to grow and change as you develop and pursue your story. It's allowed to not be done yet, and you're allowed to be working on it for weeks or months - or even years in my case!
 

  Why is it a good idea to have a physical representation of your fantasy world? Besides the cool factor, I find it very, very helpful in keeping things straight and travel accurate. I can measure distances between places better and write a more accurate story when I have something to go off of. Plus, who doesn't want to hang their own map on the wall?



  Here is my map. It's still a WIP, like my story, but it's definitely come along well and helped me design my world from the page. I'm so excited to get it done to hang up one day! 


LET'S TALK. 

  Have you ever made your own fantasy map? What format did you use to do so? Do you enjoy the process? Let me know in the comments below! 

Comments

Popular Posts