Time Management Tips for the Hopeless


  If you're like me, and lead a busy life, you've probably struggled with time management and getting everything done that you need to, want to, and fitting in time to relax and unwind. Particularly, if you're a creative of any kind (writer, artist, musician, etc) and trying to create a career from your talents and skills, you may find this extra difficult. I know I do! It often feels like the universe is conspiring against you, forcing you to work "real" jobs that don't really pique your interest in order to pay bills and keep food on the table, while simultaneously keeping you far away from pursuing your creative goals and dreams.

  Personally, my biggest struggle is my multiple interests (writing, horses, and photography/art) and managing to find time for them all on top of family events, regular weekly activities, working, volunteering, and taking care of my house. Every year I tell myself I'll do better, get more done, get off my lazy butt and try harder. And while I do manage to accomplish many of my goals each year and get the opportunity to fit in the honing of my skill-sets (whether in large or small amounts), alongside of regular life stuff, I still find that I am more often than not disappointed in myself than anything.

  I'm guessing you're here because you have the same problems, right? Well, as I've not yet learned to master procrastination, perfect time management, saying "no" to things sometimes, or generally having my life together, maybe I'm not the best person to talk to. However, I have steadily improved in these areas over my life, and while navigating the realm of adulthood presents new challenges that have definitely tripped me up the last couple years, here are some of the things I've learned about making time to pursue your goals and gifts.


 BE REALISTIC


  This one is hard for me. Deep down in my bones I FEEL like I can do A, B, C, D, E - oh, and probably X, Y, Z too! But if I'm truly honest with myself, I know that's entirely inaccurate and I'm setting myself up to fail. Being a chronic overachiever AND ruling queen of procrastination doesn't really go together, and I do my best when I aim for somewhere in the middle of that. For instance, I may *think* I can do a little writing throughout the summer and keep on track with my fantasy novel this year, but I know that between working at summer camp and trying to enjoy my summer, that will not happen. That's why I typically disappear from the blogosphere through mid-June to early September. In terms of yearly goals, it's important to take a look at your entire year, identifying "problem areas" which will be different for everyone. As stated, summer is my big one. Also Christmas-time. For you, it may be during exam season at school, or if you're going on a big trip, or moving house, or getting married. Life is crazy and things happen, and while our goals and creative pursuits are valid and important, there are things more important still, and we need to give ourselves the grace to unwind and simply enjoy these times when they come. Recognize them, and don't try to tell yourself that you can work through them. You'll likely be left disappointed.

SET GOALS, MAKE LISTS, ORGANIZE


  I honestly would be completely lost without planners, calendars, goal-trackers, to-do lists, etc. I am that kind of personality. While going to such extents may not be for you, a little bit of goal-setting and organization goes a long way for actually committing to getting things done. I've always been a goal-setter, but I really got better at achieving those goals when I made them SPECIFIC. I can't express how important it is to define your goals. If you only set yourself up for something vague, such as "write a book this year", you'll probably fail. Without direction and a plan, it's really hard to feel motivated and really, really easy to procrastinate. Take it from someone currently struggling to write a manuscript with little direction.

  Personally, I have yearly and monthly goals. The monthly goals are the broken down versions of the yearly ones, to keep me on track. I have a daily, weekly, and monthly to-do list, in which I use the same breaking down structure. It helps keep me on track, and gives me lots of little accomplishments to check off rather than plugging on and on in something big, like "write a book this year." If instead, I'm writing "3 chapters this month" or "outlining this book this month," my work feels a lot more manageable and satisfying.

  My current struggle is organizing my ever-changing and always full weeks in such a way as to be able to get as much done as humanly possible while not being totally exhausted. I usually have to take a look at a week on an individual basis because they are all so different, looking for where I can fit in time to write, time to work on writing career things, time to express myself with art, time to ride my own horses, work with camp horses and other horses, time to read, time to clean my house, work on the yard, get groceries, spend time with friends, etc, etc. There never seems to be enough time in the week, but there is usually more than you think if you take some time to stop and organize. I recently read a great post on this type of time management over on Abbie Emmons blog, all about creating your Perfect Work Week. I found this article really helpful, and I bet you will too. She has a lot of awesome productivity tips (I lowkey am in awe of her god-like skills).

SAYING "NO" AND TAKING YOUR SPACE


  This is a hard one for me, as invitations to events, activities, spending time with people, riding more horses, seeing a movie, helping family and friends, hanging out with people, etc, are all very important to me and impromptu get-togethers, adventures, or tasks are what keep life interesting and fun. But, I am also learning that I can't do everything, I can't be there for everyone all the time, and I can't be anything for anyone if I don't take some time for myself. Taking time for yourself doesn't need to be just relaxing and unwinding either, when you're a creative pursuing a career, part of taking time for yourself has to be for working on your projects. You'd barely get to work on them otherwise! Recognizing the need for balance in all areas of your life is so important and something I'm very much struggling to learn.

STAYING FOCUSED


  When you do get the time and chance to work on your projects, staying focused can often be the hardest part. What is it about creative pursuits that make it so easy to get distracted? If your work is really, truly important to you, you will make time and you will use that time wisely. I know I don't always follow this mantra, but it's one I use as a sort of self-imposed guilt trip to get me to work like I can and should to do things like writing and do it well.

  Some tips for keeping your focus.


  • Work Sprints: devoting a set time like 5, 10, or 30 minutes to your project and doing NOTHING ELSE in that time until that time is up. 
  •  Music: Some people like having work-related playlists that help get them in the zone. This is hit or miss for me, but it might work for you!
  • No Phone: getting rid of your phone for a time or shutting off the WiFi is something that will more than likely help get rid of unnecessary distractions. 
  • Tell Friends and Family: make sure people know that you've committed such and such a time for such and such a task, thereby avoiding that horrible need to say "no."
  • Reward Yourself: Give yourself something to strive for when reaching your goals. Maybe once you reach the mid-way point of your novel, you'll buy yourself a new book? Or after your 10 minute work sprint you'll indulge in a bowl of ice-cream. Positive reinforcement is a thing!


  Well, there are a few of the things I'm working on these days! As you can tell from the fact I haven't posted since what, February? *coughs* I'm doing realllllll well, lol. Do you struggle with time management and trying to fit all the things into your one busy life? What sort of things have helped you? Let me know in the comments below!

Comments

  1. These are great tips!! I find setting aside a certain chunk of time every day for my writing is super helpful. On an ideal day I'll have two hours or more, but realistically it will end up being 30 mins or so. Still, any writing is progress! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is definitely very helpful too. I go back and forth on that one cause my schedule shifts from day-to-day, which does NOT help. :P

      Delete
  2. Great tips! I'm always trying to make more fit into the small bit of time I have to live ... these days I'm having to learn to fit in time to sleep ;D

    keturahskorner.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If only we humans didn't need to sleep! So much more could be accomplished in a day, haha!

      Delete
  3. Need to know how you can manage the time? Here in this article, you will know the secret tips for time management.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts