How to Get Through Your Edits Without Going Crazy

  Editing. *shudder* A phrase that sends chills down the spines of many a hapless writer. I don't know about you, but when I think about sitting down to comb through my disastrous first drafts, I can almost be driven to tears. BUT there is hope, my friends! Here are 5 of my best tips on getting through your edits - without going absolutely crazy. 





TIP #1: READ YOUR BOOK AGAIN


  So you've finished your manuscript, you've had it set aside for a little while, and now you're ready to jump back in. Maybe enthusiastically? Maybe reluctantly? But either way, you are going to go for it. Awesome! At this point, I find it's crucial to stop, breathe and read-through your story all over again. Take a look at the WHOLE THING with a critical eye, a critical eye focused on the BIG-PICTURE of the novel. The plot, the character arcs, the themes, etc. I find it can be helpful to print off your book and read a physical copy, something you can start jotting down notes in and configuring what new directions you need to take, what holes you need to fill, and what works and doesn't. Whatever your process may be, make sure you do a solid, critical reread of the manuscript in its entirety so you are familiar with your world and characters and ready to make the necessary changes as you go through your revisions.

TIP #2: START BIG AND GET SMALL


  Like I said above, when I start my editing process, I am looking initially at the BIG PICTURE. I want to correct things with my plot, my arcs, and make sure each aspect of my character's journeys line up with where they arrive at the end of the story. I'm trying to create fluidity, clarity, and sensibility out of what may be an entirely erratic first draft. This can be a process that requires multiple rounds of revision, lots of red ink, and banging my head on my desk. Sometimes you might still find things that don't line up even into the final stages of your edits! But it's really important to start with this big stuff first, so that the next steps (copy edits, line edits, proof reads, etc) come easier. 

TIP #3: TAKE TIME TO ENJOY YOUR CHARACTERS 


  One of my favorite aspects of editing is getting to reconnect with characters whose stories I've completed. And definitely the saddest thing about finishing a story up for good is the fact that I have to say a kind of goodbye to the imaginary people who have occupied a part of my heart and headspace. But that glorious inbetween stage of editing is where you get to develop and dig deeper into beloved characters. This is the point in your manuscript's journey when things begin to come together for real and you are able to really flesh out your characters and story. This is the highlight of editing for me, and focusing on this can really help me get through what can often be a dry, dull job.

TIP #4: GET A SECOND (AND THIRD) OPINION


  Once I've gone through a few rounds of revisions and the story is more or less in the place I'm imagining it to be, I like to hand it over to a handful of alpha and beta readers, to get that much needed second opinion. Another set of eyes (or many sets) poring over your story is an invaluable resource. I can't tell you the number of times a beta-reader has saved my butt with their wisdom an insight (one particular incident with the lovely Abigayle Claire working on TSatS comes immediately to mind, lol). 

  It can be really scary to relinquish your precious manuscript over to the criticism of others, but if you've chosen good people who have a good handle on story-telling and are willing to be kind and honest, you have nothing to fear! This is an important and absolutely necessary step in my editing process, and I would encourage you to take it too. Be part of an uplifting community that is willing to come alongside you and your book to help make it the best it can be

TIP #5: REST AND REFRESH


  Before, during, and after the editing process, it is SUPER important to take time to rest and refresh. Step away from your manuscript and all the struggles its presenting and take a breath. My favorite ways to do this?

  • READ. Read widely and constantly! You can relax while subconsciously honing your writing craft. If you want to be a writer, read voraciously!
  • MOVE. I am so blessed to live in a beautiful part of the world, in the country, with tons of access to the outdoors. When I'm tired of stressing over my story I like to take a walk, run, go hiking, horsebackriding, skating, skiing, swimming, climb a tree, or simply exist in the outdoors. More than anything else, this will really help you to feel refreshed and uplifted - especially when locked down into heavy edits.
  • CREATE. When you're editing, you are working less from your creative side, and more from your logical, left brain. Sometimes you just need to get those creative juices flowing again. Painting, drawing, music, journalling, or even writing something new are all ways to renew your creative spirit.
  • ENGAGE. There are times when we really need the company of friends and family to keep us sane and help us press the reset button in our lives. Make sure to set aside time to spend with those closest to you, whether you are heavily into edits or otherwise.


YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:







LET'S TALK.


  And there you have it! My top 5 tips for getting through your edits without becoming a complete nutcase. Are you deep into editing right now? What are some of the ways you survive rereading your manuscript 2,189 consecutive times? Let me know in the comments below!

Comments

  1. Good tips for sure!!! I am 90% done with my own edits *squeals*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay!!! That's so exciting! Keep going so we can all read it!

      Delete
  2. Yes, yes, and yes!! I definitely use all of these tips when I'm editing. The one I find most helpful is reading through my novel before diving in. No matter which draft it is, it's so helpful to go back through and refresh myself on the story and find what's working and what's not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is so helpful. And really, it's kind of nice to just chill with your story and take a moment to enjoy it as a whole. :DD

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts