My Favorite Graphic Novels

  Full disclosure: I'm a sucker for a good graphic novel. And in recent years, I've found some REALLY good ones that I think are worth sharing with you guys. Check them out below and be sure to add them to your TBR!







Set in an alternate matriarchal 1900's Asia, in a richly imagined world of art deco-inflected steam punk, MONSTRESS tells the story of a teenage girl who is struggling to survive the trauma of war, and who shares a mysterious psychic link with a monster of tremendous power, a connection that will transform them both and make them the target of both human and otherworldly powers.

  I discovered this series last year, and I was blown away by the art and the storyline. Very unique premise and world-building. It is set in a matriarchal society, which I found quite fascinating as it's a far departure from traditional fantasy. The MC herself is quite different in one major way - she is a female anti-hero, something we don't generally see in literature, and something I've found very cool to read. 

  The monster aspect is also very intriguing, Maika (MC) has a mysterious connection to an old god of immense power. More than a connection really, their lives are inexplicably intertwined in a way that drags them both across a war-torn continent, seeking answers and safety from those who would use their power. 

  The monster attached to Maika is truly a monster, there is no shying away here. What I find so fascinating about this particular aspect of the story is the fact that the MC is female, and an anti-hero in keeping with such characters as Severus Snape or Anakin Skywalker, in other words, she is NOT a good person. This type of role is usually reserved for male characters, which is what I really enjoy about this story, as it takes those sorts of tropes and turns them on their head. 

  And again, the world and art are both well worth a look. I personally cannot wait for Volume 5! 




For years, fans of Avatar: The Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra have burned with one question—what happened to Fire Lord Zuko's mother? Finding a clue at last, Zuko enlists the aid of Team Avatar—and the most unlikely ally of all—to help uncover the biggest secret of his life.

  There are obviously a lot of ATLA comics out there, and I hope someday to collect the majority (although I would rather they just make more of the show, because it is seriously so good). However, the one series that I really enjoyed was The Search, because it answered some of my burning questions, and addressed more of Zuko's backstory. Since he is definitely a favorite of mine, I really enjoyed getting to know his history more through this series. I don't want to say too much for fear of spoilers, but if you're an ATLA fan, you should really read the comics. And if you're not an ATLA fan, well, what are you doing with your life??



For the first time the Joker's origin is revealed in this tale of insanity and human perseverance. Looking to prove that any man can be pushed past his breaking point and go mad, the Joker attempts to drive Commissioner Gordon insane.

  This is a standalone comic story, but it's very well done and very invigorating. I really enjoy Batman/Joker comics, I personally just like psychological thrillers and comic book universes, so these always appeal to me. Joker is for sure one of my favorite villains, especially in a story like this with excellent writing and art. This particularly graphic novel is always revered as one of the best Batman stories, there is even a movie about it, so if you're hoping to get into DC, particularly the Batman universe, I would highly recommend this one. 



Once each decade, humans mingle freely with the world of Faerie. In the 1720s, a liaison occurs between a young mortal and a fairy girl, setting off a chain of events that will culminate in a grand love adventure.

  Stardust is originally a novel by Neil Gaiman, but I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice to not read it in the illustrated version. It's the height of faerie story, and deserves the whimsical illustrations that go along with it. I am a sucker for a faerie tale, the classic kind like this, and it will instantly become a favorite of mine if I get my hands on it. That being said, Stardust is a very excellent story, with the typical hallmarks of magic and the realm of faerie to enchant you. Highly, highly recommend you read it, especially if you can get your hands on the illustrated version. 



After having his face sliced off, The Joker makes his horrifying return to Gotham City; shaking Batman to his core! But even for a man who’s committed a lifetime of murder, he’s more dangerous than ever before. How can Batman protect his city and those he’s closest to?

  Another Batman one because it's my most widely read comic universe. This is quite a hefty graphic novel and in keeping with my love for psychological thrillers, this one is chock full of terrifying and horrifying. While creepy and macabre is not for everyone, if you're into that sort of thing like I am, then you will probably enjoy this volume. Bear in mind that this is the third volume of ten of this particular Batman series, but don't worry, this one reads just fine on its own. 


YOU MIGHT ALSO LIKE:






LET'S TALK. 

  Are you a graphic novel fan? What are some of your favorite series and standalones in this format? Have you read any of the above? Or maybe you have some recommendations for me? Let me know in the comments below!

Comments

  1. Monstress and Stardust look intriguing! I do read graphic novels whenever I can get my hands on them, but sadly I own exactly one (1) - it's Under the Red Hood, though, so I'm pleased I've got that. (I don't think I've read Killing Joke, but that's the one where Babs gets *cough*, right?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (...I mean, not that the thing with Babs could POSSIBLY be a spoiler at this point, seeing as it looks like she's been in and out of the chair [hang on while I scroll fandom.com for half an hour trying to figure out what even is canon...] but it just doesn't feel right saying it outright??)

      Delete
    2. I would highly recommend them both. Monstress is quite dark and serious, where Stardust is very fairy-tale-esque. So depends what you like! I haven't heard of Under the Red Hood! *goes to look it up*

      You mean when she gets paralyzed, right? Yes, she does get shot by the Joker in this comic. I say being totally insensitive to spoilers, lol.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts