Favorite Tropes to Read - Guest Post by Hanne

Today on the blog, I'll be doing a bit of a switcheroo to break my summer hiatus! Everyone welcome, Hanne from the blog, Losing the Busyness! She and I are swapping blogs today, and while I am over at her homepage talking about my favorite tropes I like to write, here she is sharing all her favorite tropes she likes to read! Be sure to check out both posts and let us know some of your favorite tropes, whether you like to read them or write them!

So, without further delay, I'll turn it over to Hanne...


Hi everyone! I’m super excited to be on Emily’s blog today, sharing about my top 5 tropes to read! She also shared a list of the top 5 tropes she likes to write, so make sure to head over to my blog to check it out! This was a super fun collab to do, and I’m really excited to share with you My Top 5 Tropes I Like To Read!

  1. Badass female characters, especially if they are able to embrace their femininity, while doing all sorts of cool things! Sword fighting? Running a business? Being the one to solve a mystery? Doing cool science research? GIVE IT TO ME. Bonus points if they are still in touch with their emotions and also have that soft feminine side. I love it all.
    A book with this trope: To Best the Boys by Mary Weber

  2. Big families/found families. The banter! The camaraderie! The noise and the hustle and bustle of everyday life! Healthy family relationships, whether biological or not, are just so much fun to read and I just love it!
    A book with this trope: The Boy Who Steals Houses by C. G. Drews

  3. Characters connecting between books/series OR books that mention books that exist. I just really love when books connect with stuff outside of themselves: it just provides another dimension of story within the book, and it just really makes me happy inside. Characters that make a cameo in other books aren't especially rare, but I really love when that happens; and when a book mentions another book that's not like, the Bible, or Shakespeare? *chef's kiss*
    A series with this trope: The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer

  4. Bookstores/coffeeshops/libraries/small towns in general. I grew up in a small town, and part of me always wants to go back and open a cafe/bookstore. Books with this trope are just so fun and I LOVE books set in or around a cozy place like that!
    A book with this trope: Love Walked In by Maria De Los Santos

  5. Sherlock Holmes retellings. This is a lot more specific than the other tropes, but I've loved Sherlock Holmes since I was really really young, and I will ALWAYS read a Sherlock Holmes retelling. Recreate the plotline, recreate the setting, any of it: I will read it.
    A book with this trope: The Beekeeper's Apprentice by Laurie R. King


Those were some of my absolute favorite tropes that I love to find in books! There are so many out there, and while there are a lot that can be dull and overused, I think a couple well done tropes can really add to the story and make it a lot of fun! Thanks to Emily for letting me post here today, and make sure to hop over to my blog to check out her list of tropes she likes to write!




Profile Picture

Hanne is a college student studying biology during the day, and a lifestyle and book blogger at night. She is passionate about getting the word about people’s books out into the world, as well as making time to do the things that you love. To this end, she also bookstagrams, bullet journals, and drinks too much coffee. You can find her everywhere @HanneasinHannah (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest) and her blog at losingthebusyness.wordpress.com.

Comments

  1. Thank you for having me!! It was so much fun!

    Hanne || losingthebusyness.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my absolute favorites!! It's just the best :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Found Family trope!! It's such a wonderful thing, not just in books, but also in real life. Getting to find people that you decide you want to be family? Awesomeness!

    I also love the interconnectedness between books. Like, I love flailing when I see characters mention something I love.

    AND the cafe/bookshop!!

    Basically, I love all of these!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts